Pages

Friday, July 22, 2016

Packing for RAGBRAI

There are tons of lists out there for what various folks who have done RAGBRAI over the years think is essential for the week.  I'm trying to combine some of their ideas with my long-distance bicycle touring experience to get down to a reasonable list for the week.

The biggest benefit of this being a supported ride is not having to carry anything (except maybe extra sunscreen, a few snacks, and water) on my bike will definitely help make pedaling easier!  Basically, each RAGBRAI rider can bring one soft-sided duffel bag, not to exceed 40 or 50 pounds, and if your tent doesn't fit inside, you can strap it to the outside of your bag.  I'm not sure how to properly strap my tent to a duffel bag without losing it, so I'm going to try to fit mine inside the bag.

I started packing Tuesday night, and with the tent, air mattress, sleeping bag, and some clothing, my big duffel bag is starting to look too small for this trip.  But I'll make it fit, somehow, someway.  Also, I have to pack it all in waterproof bags, since our bags will be tossed off a semi-truck into the grass every day, and it will get rained on if it is wet outside.

Here's my packing list (which may be modified as the hours tick by):

Camping Gear
1 - Tent (REI Half Dome 2, with TYVEK groundcloth)
1 - 40 degree mummy sleeping bag
1 - Queen flat sheet, for hot weather sleeping
1 - Single air mattress
1 - Inflatable camp pillow (Alps Mountaineering Hypnos from REI)
1 - Battery/USB cord powered oscillating fan
1 - Inflatable couch (one of those weird ones you run around to put air into, then roll up the end)

Bicycle Gear
2 - Spare tubes
1 - Small multi-tool
1 - Set tire levers
1 - Handlebar bag
1 - Stempost bag
1 - Helmet (Giro cheapo)
1 - Pair cycling gloves (Giro)
1 - Pair Keen Commuter sandals
1 - Pair cycling sunglasses
1 - Bicycle mirror (Bike Peddler "Take a Look" mirror - Mirror is a MUST HAVE for road cycling!)
2 - Camelbak Podium insulated water bottles
1 - Bike lock (which I probably won't use)

Electronics
1 - Solar powered battery charger
2 - USB powered battery chargers
1 - Kindle
1 - iPhone 5s
1 - Corded earbuds
1 - Cordless earbuds
1 - 10ft iPhone cord
10 - AA Batteries (for fan and headlamp)
1 - Headlamp

Clothing
6 - Cycling shorts
2 - Shorts to wear on top of cycling shorts (I'm not a spandex-on-the-outside kinda gal)
6 - Cycling shirts/jerseys
3 - T-shirts for off-bike wear
2 - Shorts for off-bike wear
1 - Light pair of knit pants for sleeping if cold
1 - Long sleeve dry-fit shirt for early morning riding or cold sleeping
1 - Goofy cycling cap (pictures to come, I'm sure)
1 - Light sweatshirt for chilly evenings/mornings
1 - Rain jacket (generic one, not cycling-specific, because I'm cheap)
1 - Pair of socks in case my feeties get cold
1 - Frogg Togg chamois for wearing around my neck to cool me off during the hot days (this item is a MUST HAVE in my book for hot weather cycling!)
1 - Pair flip flops for off-bike wear
1 - Humming House trucker hat
Various undergarments for both on- and off-bike purposes

Toiletries
1 - Large tube chamois cream (Another cycling MUST!)
1 - Bottle contact solution
1 - Deodorant
1 - Toothpaste
1 - Toothbrush
1 - Roll of moleskin
10 - Band-Aids
1 - Container Sunscreen
1 - Travel size Dr. Bronners soap
1 - Roll of TP (you never know)
1 - Bug spray
1 - Chapstick with SPF 15
1 - Camp towel
1 - Bottle of Advil
7 - Melatonin pills, just in case I can't sleep
1 - Travel size hand sanitizer
3 - Packs of face/Body wipes
All the various vitamins and junk I take regularly anyway

Other Random Items
1 - Journal
1 - RoadID
1 - Box of Salted Caramel Honey Stingers
2 - Tubes Nuun tabs for water bottles
1 - Cheapo pocket knife
1 - Small pair scissors
1 - Shep (tiny rubber pig that went across the US with me in 2013)


It (almost) fits!

No comments:

Post a Comment